Thursday, February 26, 2009

Limericks in honor of Darwin’s bicentenary

The Spectator recently asked readers to submit limericks in honor of Charles Darwin’s bicentenary. Here are my three efforts:

The Darwin debate never ceases,
For he wounded the pride of our species
When he made you and me
Share the family tree
With those monkeys that love to fling faeces.


“Dear waiter,” said Darwin, “Please stoop
And observe what I happened to scoop:
Did you know you and I
Made ascent, like this fly,
From a bleak and unsavoury soup?”


Charles Darwin declared, “I’m in pieces!
Diversity’s best for the species,
But I have a dilemma:
My sole mate is Emma*,
And she’s one of my grandfather’s nieces.”

*Darwin married his first cousin, Emma Wedgewood.

The winners are here.

Evolution limericks from OEDILF.

No comments: